TYPE: Registered Nurse
UNIT: Dialysis Manager
LOCATION: El Paso, Texas
JOB TYPE: Full-Time Permanent
The Dialysis Manager (Registered Nurse) is responsible for the day to day operations
of the dialysis center. This includes, but not is not limited to patient,
center, personnel, and financial management. The Manager possesses
a strong understanding of the quality performance assessment and improvement
program. This role assesses and proactively addresses potential patient and/or
staff safety issues. The CM is considered an experienced expert in the field
who acts as a liaison to physicians. This position communicates with patients,
physicians, direct reports and other co-workers. The CM is a team leader who
educates and mentors staff members as appropriate. This position also provides
nursing support services to the center for unscheduled absences or for patient
care, as needed.
- Patient Care Supervision. Understands basic renal function
and the consequences of renal failure. Observes and records patient’s
responses to renal failure and its treatment. Directs and supervises the
care of the patients on dialysis. Performs thorough patient assessments as
evidenced by documentation.
- Critical Results/Situations. Uses professional discretion in
critical or emergency situations and directs the necessary intervention.
Recognizes changes in patient’s condition on dialysis and makes necessary
adjustments in their therapy. Notifies the physician, providing the
appropriate information, and implements physician’s orders.
- Patient Schedule. Provides oversight of the patient schedule
and makes staff assignments based on priorities for patient care and skill
level of the staff, maintains on-call schedule for home programs with 24/7
call support. Consistently reviews and evaluates patient priorities as
changes occur in the condition of the patient or center. Directs staff in
work assignments to address these changes.
- Patient Admissions and Discharges. Verifies the accuracy and
safety of all orders, implements them and/or delegates to appropriate
staff. Ensures discharge management is accurate and complete.
- Access Management. Leads the Vascular Access Leader (VAL)
team and ensures consistent, timely monitoring and verifies appropriate
action of identified problems. Collects Infiltration Reports, ensures
infiltration instructions are delivered, and notifies physician as
- Anemia Management. Provides routine oversight and assures
appropriate action of critical lab values. Assumes responsibility in the
absence of the Anemia Manager.
- Adequacy Management. Sets the admission dialysis prescription
per physician approved Adequacy Protocol for new admissions. Assembles the
monthly adequacy team including, but not limited to, the Dietitian and
Clinical Manager to discuss what aspects of the treatment can be modified
to correct deficiencies in the delivery of dialysis.
- Patient Rounding. Implements routine rounding of patients to
proactively identify needs and concerns of in-center patients. For home
programs, patient needs and concerns will be evaluated at point of
service. Ensures the confidentiality of patient and employee information.
- Patient Care Conferences. Responsible for monthly management
of interdisciplinary team care conferences.
- Medical Record Management. Assumes responsibility for the
overall supervision and management of the medical records as outlined in
the Operational Policy and Procedures manual. Responsible for accuracy,
completeness and timeliness of all data entry including Crown Web data.
- Quality Assessment Performance Improvement. A required member
of the QAPI team who monitors aggregate clinical outcome data to identify
trends, analyze root causes and implement interventions to correct real
and/or potential problems in the center. Responsible for oversight of QAPI
projects related to identified problems.
- Infection Control and Vaccinations. Ensures employee
compliance with all infection control policies and procedures to prevent
and control infections. Maintains neat and clean environment. Ensures all
infections are correctly documented (including NHSN reporting as required)
and appropriate care is rendered per protocol or physician order. Provides
oversight of patient vaccinations including Hepatitis B, Seasonal Flu, and
Pneumonia. Provides data as required by the Renal Network
- Incident Reports. Responsible for the review and analysis of
internal incident reports and reports significant incidents promptly to
the Territory Director. Aggregates data to identify trends in accordance
with the Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAPI) program.
- Renal Network Compliance. Follows guidelines and goals in
accordance with the legislative mandate for the ESRD Network Program.
- Governing Body Meetings. The Clinical Manager is a member of
the local governing body and is responsible for the direct supervision of
all aspects of the center operations and serves as the designated
Administrator for the center. Meetings shall be held according to the
Governing Body and Center Governance Policy.
- Staffing. Promotes a teamwork approach by offering
information, advice, and assistance to all unit staff members in a
positive, courteous, and cooperative manner. Assists in staff scheduling
and interprets staffing policies. Arranges coverage for unscheduled
- Staff Meetings. Responsible for conducting monthly staff
meeting to address any areas of concern and to ensure proper communication
between all staff members.
- Focal Reviews. Participates in evaluations. Supervises,
evaluates, and determines clinical competency in conjunction with the
- Policy and Procedure. Provides oversight of policies and
procedures and acts on non-compliance including notifying the Territory
Director. Ensures staff documents thoroughly and correctly. Effectively
communicates new policy and procedure updates.
- Supplies. Ensures proper use of supplies to minimize waste.
Oversees adequate supply stock and communicates needs to Technical
- Budget. Monitors operating and capital budget to ensure
containment of controllable costs.
- Facility Management for Home Centers
- Facility maintained in good repair
- Equipment maintained and safe
- Responsible for communicating request/needs to Technical
- Responsible for driving the culture through values and
customer service standards
- Accountable for outstanding customer service to all external
and internal customers
- Develops and maintains effective relationships through
effective and timely communication
- Takes initiative and action to respond, resolve and follow up
regarding customer service issues with all customers in a timely manner
Comprehensive Health, Dental, and Vision benefits
Employee discount program
Excellent room for growth and advancement
Minimum Education &
- One (1) year of experience as a RN and One (1) year
hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis experience required
- Current RN licensure within state of practice.
- BSN preferred.
- CNN/CDN Certification preferred.
- Management or Supervisor
- Three (3) months experience
in training patients in self-care for both PD & HHD.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills &
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand and satisfactorily
communicate in English
- Maintains professional competence via continuing education
- Current CPR certification
- Proficient computer skills- e.g. Outlook, Word
- Effectively demonstrates CM leadership competencies
- Critical thinker
- Effective delegator
- Effective quality manager/accountable for outcomes
- Integrates clinical knowledge and leadership skills into
- Facilitates collaborative relationships, customer–focused
- Effective in staff and patient education
- Effective coach and mentor
- Able to effectively use quality process to meet clinical
- Strong knowledge of state and federal ESRD regulations
- Ability to partner with Medical Directors
- Demonstrates fiscal accountability, quality management and
strategic planning skills
- Demonstrates ability to take a broad view of issues
considering both short and long term perspective